Legal

Aerosmith sued over cancelled Canadian gigs

By | Published on Friday 11 June 2010

Aerosmith have been sued for $6 million by a Canadian promoter after the band cancelled a 2009 tour and then allegedly refused to reschedule the dates.

The US rockers’ five show Canadian tour was due to take place last August, but was cancelled after frontman Steve Tyler hurt himself falling off stage. As previously reported, there then followed a period of uncertainty regarding the future of the band after Tyler went into rehab and his bandmates said he was taking a sabbatical from performing. But all differences were resolved in the Aerosmith camp in late February, and the band have now announced European and American tour dates, including a set at Download this weekend.

But the new tour only includes one date in Canada, in Toronto, and none of the five shows that were cancelled last summer. Which has made promoters Keystone Entertainment Group angry, hence the $6 million lawsuit.

According to the QMI Agency, Keystone’s lawsuit, recently filed in a Calgary court, says: “Following the [cancellations], Keystone approached Aerosmith in September, 2009, for purposes of negotiating alternate dates for the tour. To date, Keystone has received no response or acceptance from Aerosmith”.

The promoter is suing to cover the costs it incurred in setting up the cancelled gigs, and for lost ticket sales and profits. The band are yet to respond.



READ MORE ABOUT: |

SIGN UP GO PREMIUM CMU NEWS CMU DAILY CMU DIGEST CMU TRENDS SETLIST