Jacksons v AEG Timeline Legal Top Stories

Four gallons of propofol sent to Jackson doctor’s girlfriend’s home: Murray trial update

By | Published on Wednesday 5 October 2011

Conrad Murray

Conrad Murray had over four gallons of the all important drug propofol shipped to his girlfriend’s house, as you would, it was revealed in court yesterday. Propofol, of course, is the drug that killed Michael Jackson, and Murray is accused of involuntary manslaughter for giving the singer the shot of the medication that the prosecution claim caused his death.

Murray’s girlfriend, Nicole Alvarez, was on the witness stand yesterday, partly because the doctor stayed at her Santa Monica home while working for Jackson, who was living in LA at the time. She confirmed to the court that packages from a pharmacy in Las Vegas were delivered to her home “every now and then” while the doctor was staying there, though she said she didn’t know what was in them.

However, Tim Lopez, the former owner of Applied Pharmacy in Las Vegas was able to help there. He testified that he sent propofol to Alvarez’s Santa Monica address. He says that Murray, who was usually based in Vegas, told him the address was his Californian medical office, but the doctor, with licences to practice medicine in Texas and Nevada but not California, had no such facility.

Three other women with whom Murray has had relationships, some seemingly concurrently, also testified yesterday because the doctor had called them on the morning of Jackson’s death. The doctor’s mobile provider had already confirmed in court that Murray spent much of the time between administering the propofol to Jackson and discovering the singer was no longer breathing on the phone.

One of the women called was Sade Anding who, it’s thought, was on the phone to Murray as he discovered Jackson was no longer breathing. She told the court how, half way through a conversation, she became aware Murray had stopped listening to what she was saying. “I heard mumbling sounds and coughing and a voice”, she said, “and I kept saying, hello, hello, are you there? But I didn’t get any reply”. The line then went dead. That call was at 11.51am, half an hour before an ambulance was called.

The prosecution, of course, believe that Murray was negligent for not monitoring his patient constantly after having administered propofol, and also for taking a full half hour to call the emergency services. Testimonies from other members of Jackson’s posse last week suggested part of the delay was Murray hiding some of the drugs he’d been giving to the pop star.

It seems that Murray was in relationships with both Anding and Alvarez at the time of Jackson’s death, as well as having a wife back in Las Vegas, though the specifics of these relationships were not allowed to be discussed in the courtroom amid fears revelations about the doctor’s personal life might skew the jury’s opinion about the accused medic.

The case continues.