Artist News Legal

Sexual assault lawsuit against Diplo withdrawn

By | Published on Friday 16 July 2021

Diplo

A sexual assault lawsuit filed against Diplo earlier this month has been withdrawn. The woman behind the action now says she regrets going legal.

In a statement to Billboard, the unnamed woman said: “In light of the evidence and after consultation with my attorneys, I have decided to withdraw my lawsuit. No payment was offered or requested. I regret filing the lawsuit”.

Diplo was accused of forcing the woman to perform oral sex on him in his hotel room, following a show in Las Vegas in 2019. She also said that he had filmed the encounter without her consent.

Responding to this development, the musician’s attorney Bryan Freedman told reporters: “As we said when we first learned of this lawsuit, there was absolutely irrefutable evidence that proved that the allegations it contained were false. As soon as we shared that plethora of evidence with the plaintiff’s lawyers, they recognised that they needed to withdraw their suit immediately”.

Freedman claims that the lawsuit was actually related to Diplo’s ongoing legal battle with ex-girlfriend Shelly Auguste, who he accuses of harassment, and who made similar claims against the musician in a lawsuit filed last month.

The lawyer went on: “This demonstrably false claim – encouraged by an individual who has stalked, threatened, harassed and attempted to extort Mr Pentz and his family – has caused great harm”.

“While that damage can never fully be undone”, he added, “we are glad to see this lawsuit be dismissed with prejudice. Only because of the swift and irreversible decision to withdraw this lawsuit and to issue a public statement retracting the claims and expressing regret, we will not be pursuing charges of malicious prosecution against them at this time”.

Last week, baseball team the Baltimore Orioles cancelled a post-game performance by Diplo, seemingly in light of the now withdrawn lawsuit.



READ MORE ABOUT: